Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's working!

So I decided believing is at least 1/2 the battle. Yana does not make letter sounds, doesn't babble, nothing but growling, spitting, throat clearing etc. Well I decided she just lost the know how and needed help getting it back.

She loves music. So about a week or so ago I started singing sings with syllables only. Concentrating on the basic baby ones.... Dada, mama, lala, papa, nana or no no, Yana (her name), baba, and tata. Basic songs like "if you're happy and you know it clap you hands", "jingle bells", "twinkle twinkle little star" and so on.

IT IS WORKING!!!! She is starting to make some of these sounds instead of just gutteral sounds!!! She's doing it!! :)

3 1/2 months home.... NO language to the very beginning of language! 7 1/2 years of not having a voice to a future full of her sweet voice! Simply amazing!

10 comments:

  1. YAAAYYYY YANA!!!! And go MOM:)! Praying for you today;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea and congrats on the progress! As a toddler, one of my nephews whom I watch regularly used to have trouble following instructions and keeping his attention focused when I talked to him, but he loves music and songs. So I simply started singing important information to him using spontaneously made up tunes and it really worked until he got better at dealing with regularly spoken language. I still sometimes hear him sing some of the songs I invented, like the one for washing his hands after using the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, great thinking. So happy to see them blossoming at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I know how you feel! I am so so tired by naptime. But its so beautiful. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Ive been making sure G sees my mouth when Im talking. ANd talk talk talk. Signing time videos hands down. I counted and they repeat the word ten times each. Until she can get the word out of her mouth this will help her figure out another way to "say it" G will also put her hand on our throat to feel the vibration. I love this...... you know I keep reminding myself where we were and where we are. keeping track of it in a journal really is helping me. Hugs. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAHOO!!!! That is amazing.....ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! I know being home sure helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention that simple sign language could also be very effective. My neighbor was adopted from EE about ten months ago. He is 10 yo and has DS and is pretty much non-verbal except for gutteral sounds, but he has learned to sign words like yes, no, eat, more, bathroom, and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful news!! Great job Yana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! I miss seeing my little friend, Yana. If you want, my name has good syllables....just think of singing Meadow, Meadow, Meadow to "Twinkle Twinkle"!! I know, brilliant, right? You are doing such a good job, Kelly! I can't wait to hear Yana's little voice!

    ReplyDelete