Thursday, April 23, 2009

Active Faith

In my journey into the world of adoption, beginning in 2005, I have had many "well meaning" and "not so well meaning" people offer me advice or "guidance". Some claiming to understand great faith, while others were quite positive they knew Gods will for my life. Neither that understood "great faith" or God's will for my life entailed adopting. And most especially it did NOT entail adopting out of my race and absolutely NO special needs.

I have always tried to respond in a way that would glorify God the Father. He may be teaching them through me, or teaching me through them. Adoption is a magnificent way to glorify God.
But comments that declare me as selfish, uncaring, hurting my "real"[their words, not mine] children, destroying my marriage and my husband, ruining my childrens future and twisting the Word of God to suit my own purposes I find very offensive.

To begin with God's heart is for the orphan, the weak, the defenseless, the least of these, the lonely .... AND if God's heart is for this, shouldn't ours be also. Additionally we are called to an ACTIVE FAITH! 1 John 3: 17-19 speaks most strongly to my heart. "Suppose someone has enough to live and sees a brother or sister in need, but does not help. Then God's love is not living in that person. [Fellow believers], we should love people not only with words or talk, but by our ACTIONS and true caring."

Take note that these verses do not refer only to those who have an abundance of things, but those who have enough. Take note that we are called to act, not from any excess we feel we can spare, but out of all that we have that is not truly needed. We are called to be Gods hands and feet, to let his love dwell in us and be expressed through action!

James 2: 14-20 talks about faith as a word of action. In verses 17 through 19 it says: "In the same way, faith that is alone- that does nothing- is dead. Someone might say, "you have faith, but I have deeds." Show me your faith without doing anything and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe there is one God, Good! But the demons believe that too, and they tremble with fear." I take this to mean, do you believe in God or do you believe God? Are you living a life that requires faith? Or are you living a life that lets you believe God is good, but allows no room for God to be glorified?

I recently read this quote: Ships are safe inside their harbor. But, is that what ships are for ?
--- Thom Bishop, Wake up and dream Ephesians 2:10 says "We are His workmanSHIP. Created in Christ Jesus to do good works which He prepared in advance for us to do." Are you still in the harbor? Have you set sail in the name of the Lord????

We are adding to our family with the adoption of 2 little girls from Bulgaria. They are orphans, they are in need, they are lonely, they are "the least of these". We have enough. God has blessed us with more than enough and we are answering the call He has placed in our hearts to set sail and bring these girls into our family. We feel so honored to be called upon by God to welcome these two little girls into our lives. May we prove worthy of such a calling! We are answering the call with affirmative action, we have said "YES Lord, YES Lord, YES YES Lord. AMEN!"

We ask all friends, strangers,and loved ones to join us in prayer, to rejoice with us, to open your hearts and minds, to join the cause of the orphan and the poor! FIGHT FOR THEM! Do not let the world tell you it is of no use! Do not make the mistake of thinking it isn't your responsibility to make life better for whomever God places on your heart! God has called you to arms! The trumpet has sounded! Be bold, answer His call with a "YES LORD!".

When that day of judgement comes, I want to stand before Him able to say "I have nothing left God. I used everything you gave me!" [Think this is an Erma Bombeck quote?... maybe]

Let you faith loose. Let it be alive and active! Untie the ropes of this world and set sail! You will never see new lands if you always make sure you can see the shoreline!!!!

____________________________________



What does active faith have to do with adoption? What doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment