Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Do children go to Heaven?

Mark 10: 13-16, Matthew 19:13-15, Luke 18:15-17 [from the message]

Mark:

13-16The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.

Luke:

15-17People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. "Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in."

Matthew:

13-15One day children were brought to Jesus in the hope that he would lay hands on them and pray over them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus intervened: "Let the children alone, don't prevent them from coming to me. God's kingdom is made up of people like these." After laying hands on them, he left.


It always amazes me when people ask "Do children that die go to Heaven?". I am always floored, and immediately on the defensive [not that God needs that from me!!!]. How can you know God, know what you know about Him, take what you have learned from the Bible as truth, and yet think He would sentence a child to eternity in hell???

I picked the scriptures from The Message because they speak more toward the heart of God than the other versions. In this version each scripture reference states "DON'T GET BETWEEN THEM AND ME!" OR "DON'T PREVENT THEM FROM COMING TO ME!"... It has been brought to my attention before that this is one case where Jesus was angry! I think it is referenced in Mark.

If Jesus is IRATE/ANGERED about the fact that the disciples wanted to prevent children from coming to Him under these circumstances, do you really think Jesus will not fight with all that is within Him to have them gathered into His arms for eternity??? He states, "THESE CHILDREN ARE AT THE VERY CENTER OF LIFE IN THE KINGDOM!" ....

I don't know what your personal beliefs are on the matter, but I believe that you can not KNOW GOD and believe He would condemn a child to Hell. It does not say that in the bible. In fact, referencing these verses, I believe it states the opposite!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely!! In the Old Testament, when King David's son died(the one he had with Bathsheba), God told him that he WOULD see him again one day..From God's lips..!

    Renae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on that. Our God is Just & Fair...not having anything to do with evil. I believe children are at the heart of who He is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL kiddos go to heaven! I believe that.

    ReplyDelete